Prepare your car for winter
Tuesday 14 November, 2017
Fancy a hassle-free winter on the road? Then run your car through our handy checklist for Top 10 Tips for safe Winter driving on North London roads
1. Carry an ice scraper and de-icer spray.
2. Make sure there’s enough antifreeze in your car’s cooling system.
3. Top up your washer bottle with a mix of water and screen-wash solution to prevent it from freezing.
4. Don’t stop at 2 and 3! Check ALL fluid levels in your car: the oil, brake fluid and power steering fluid. (We can help with this if you don’t know how)
5. Check your wiper blades and replace them if they’re worn – it makes a big difference in heavy rain or snow.
6. Inspect your tyres for signs of uneven wear and deep-enough tread – 1.6mm is the legal limit, 3mm is recommended. Make sure the tyre pressure is correct.
7. Listen for the engine turning over slowly when starting – if you hear that it’s a sign the battery could need replacing so have it checked.
8. Ensure your car’s servicing is up to date. Don’t risk getting stranded in poor weather conditions because a fault suddenly develops.
9. Make sure all lights are in full working order – it gets dark early these days.
10. And finally, the Just-In-Case list: mobile phone charger, warm waterproof coat, gloves, boots, torch, water, chocolate, shovel, warning triangle, high-visibility vest
If you aren't confident at checking any of these points we are more than happy to help here at Garage Express. Call us to book your car in for a winter check on 020 8905 8788.
Book your Car, Van or Minibus using our quick book from or call our team on 0208 905 8788.
Fleet Manager, Fleet Van Servicing Centre North London.
Whilst travelling to you you ordered the part, and an hour after my initial call my van was on the lift and a new starter-motor was being fitted. An hour later I was on my way back to work. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Not only did you go out of your way to keep us working, you did it at a very sensible price.