Place the coin in the groves of the tyre.
How do I check my tyres?
Friday 7 March, 2014
If you have ever wondered ‘how do I check my tyres?’ then read on! It is quite often we have cars in our workshop and report back to the customer that their tyres need to be replaced and it comes as a big surprise to them.
It is a very important safety aspect that you ensure your tyres have enough tread on them. The tread of a tyre is like the grip visible on the sole of your wellies. You change your shoes or boots when they wear down otherwise you can slip or be uncomfortable; think of tyres like shoes. We always say we are like the blacksmiths of the modern day!
The “legal” requirement is that the tread is no lower than at least 1.6mm but it is recommended not to allow your tyres wear below 3mm. Not only are illegal tyres unsafe, they could also land you into trouble. You could get a fine and 3 penalty points on your driving licence for every illegal tyre.
So how do you check your own tyres? See our simple guide below.
- You will need a tool. It’s not expensive it costs about 20p and the good thing is you can reuse it. Put your hand in your pocket and pull out a 20p coin.
- The part of the coin we need to concentrate on is the outer ring (highlighted in red)
- Place the coin in the groves of the tyre. If you can’t see the outer ring of the 20p coin your tyre may be illegal. Remember to check all across the tyre and all round the tyre.
- The picture below shows a tyre that is not road legal. The outer ring of the 20p coin can be clearly seen. Remember to check all across the tyre and all round the tyre.
- If you can see the outer ring of the 20p coin then the tyre is probably illegal.
- Remember you don’t need any fancy tools to check your own tyres and they should be checked every month. If you want them professionally checked you can stop by for a FREE tyre tread depth check at Garage Express.
Book your Car, Van or Minibus using our quick book from or call our team on 0208 905 8788.
Fleet Manager, Fleet Van Servicing Centre North London.
Whilst travelling to you you ordered the part, and an hour after my initial call my van was on the lift and a new starter-motor was being fitted. An hour later I was on my way back to work. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Not only did you go out of your way to keep us working, you did it at a very sensible price.